With the holiday season here, it’s time to give some thought to how to help others. If you have older relatives or neighbors, why not brighten up their life with some holiday love and extra care? Here are a few ideas that your older relative may enjoy.
- Gather some items that we all use regularly, such as a toothbrush, toothpaste, lotion, socks, shampoo, hand towels, etc. Put them together in a shoe box or gift bag.
- Decorate a tree for them or help with other holiday home decorations. This may be especially helpful if your loved one has mobility or dexterity issues.
- Watch a holiday movie together. If it’s an older movie that’s familiar, ask your loved one about the first time they saw the movie and any memories they have about it.
- Bring over a tin of homemade holiday cookies. If your loved one has any dietary restrictions, you can trade out the cookies for fruit, crackers, or another food item.
- Visit a senior care facility. Inquire about special holiday events they may be hosting, and volunteer your time. You could be just the key to help combat loneliness for someone.
- Ask about previous holiday memories. Let them spend some time reminiscing if they want to do so.
- Have a favorite mellow furry friend? Bring Fido over for some bonding time with your older loved one.
- Find out if your older relative or friend needs some help throughout the year, such as rides to doctor’s appointments, grocery store runs, or light cleaning. See if you can pitch in year-round.
When visiting an elderly loved one during the holidays, be mindful of their routine and their energy level. You may have in mind a packed day of fun when they would be just as happy with one low-key activity. Be patient and positive, and be prepared to bring holiday joy to an older relative or neighbor’s heart.
Call Secure Aging to Find Out How We Can Help Seniors With Financial Management
At Secure Aging in Bradenton, we transform the weight of the world into a sigh of relief for our senior clients and their concerned family members. The mission of Secure Aging is to protect and preserve our client’s independence and dignity through careful and thoughtful financial and care management. As our clients age, it is their desire to remain independent and age with dignity. Our services protect our clients from talented con artists looking to exploit and deplete the financial resources of our vulnerable seniors. Secure Aging helps families in Manatee County and Sarasota County and in and around the communities of Anna Maria, Bradenton, Bradenton Beach, Ellenton, Holmes Beach, Lakewood Ranch, Longboat Key, Myakka City, Palmetto, Parrish, and Sarasota. Call us at 941-761-9338, or visit us online at www.secureaging.com.