If you have an older loved one who needs to move to a Bradenton senior living facility, then you know how overwhelming the search process can be. There are many considerations to help find the right senior living facility. To help get you started, here are a few tips to choose a Bradenton senior living community.
1. Know what type of community your loved one needs. Independent living allows residents to have a maintenance-free lifestyle, prepared meals, and similar conveniences while maintaining independence. Assisted living is geared toward adults who need help with their daily living activities. Memory care is for those living with memory issues (like dementia). Some communities will have a combination of these types of living choices.
2. Focus on must-haves versus nice but not necessary. Make a list with your loved one of
features that should be a must at their future home. Some examples may be:
- A smaller facility, for shorter walks from their room to dining and activities
- A place that allows small pets
- An active social calendar
- A short drive from relatives
Having this list in advance of your on-site visits can make the selection process easier. It also helps you discern the must-haves versus the nice but not necessary features.
3. Try the food. Taking the time to try a meal can reveal a lot about a potential living facility. You and your senior loved one will discover more about the quality of the food, the ambiance during mealtime, and any extra aid (if needed) during mealtime. This is also a great time to ask questions about meals, such as meals for special dietary restrictions, the availability of snacks, and menu variety.
4. Read the reviews. How many times have you read online reviews when choosing places to eat? Most people do so nowadays, and you can use that same information when choosing a Bradenton senior living facility. Look for an average of four stars or above, and also check that the facility reads and responds to reviews. In addition to reviews, find out if you can speak to one or more residents to get their impressions.
5. Be clear about costs. Of course, the cost to live at a senior living facility is a big issue for
most people. While only you and your senior loved one know what’s in your budget, there are still some good universal questions you can ask about paying for the stay:
- Is the cost all-inclusive? What extra fees are involved?
- What costs do I need to pay upfront?
- Are we locked into a year-long contract, or is month to month available?
- What’s your policy on refunds?
- Are there programs to help cover the costs of living here?
Call Secure Aging to Find Out How We Can Help Seniors With Care Management
At Secure Aging in Bradenton, we transform the weight of the world into a sigh of relief for our senior clients and their concerned family members. The mission of Secure Aging is to protect and preserve our client’s independence and dignity through careful and thoughtful financial and care management. As our clients age, it is their desire to remain independent and age with dignity. Our services protect our clients from talented con artists looking to exploit and deplete the financial resources of our vulnerable seniors. Secure Aging helps families in Manatee County and Sarasota County and in and around the communities of Anna Maria, Bradenton, Bradenton Beach, Ellenton, Holmes Beach, Lakewood Ranch, Longboat Key, Myakka City, Palmetto, Parrish, and Sarasota. Call us at 941-761-9338, or visit us online at www.secureaging.com.