Happy New Year! It’s only natural that many of us want to get organized when the new year is upon us. Take advantage of 2020 by making sure you get the paperwork in order for the senior in your life. Here’s a checklist of papers that you’ll want to make sure are completed, organized, and easy to find.
- A will.
- Healthcare power of attorney. This spells out what that person wants to be done in a dire health-related situation.
- General power of attorney. (This website from the National Institutes of Health talks about different powers of attorney documents as well as other important documents that someone should have.)
- Birth, death, and marriage certificates.
- Any important IDs, such as a passport and driver’s license.
- Life insurance paperwork.
- All other insurance paperwork, including health, car, and long-term care.
- A copy of the most recent tax returns (at least three years).
- Funeral or burial pre-arrangement information.
- A list of medications taken regularly (make sure to update this list regularly).
- Car title and registration.
- A copy of the deed or trust for the home.
- Paperwork related to investment income and contact information for any financial planner who helps to manage those funds.
- Social Security information.
- Medicare-related information.
This list isn’t necessarily everything you need, but it does cover a large portion of the paperwork that you should have organized. While you’re at it, don’t just organize these important papers for your senior loved on. Do it for yourself, too! You’ll be glad you did.
Call Secure Aging to Find Out How We Can Help Seniors With Care Management
At Secure Aging in Bradenton, we transform the weight of the world into a sigh of relief for our senior clients and their concerned family members. The mission of Secure Aging is to protect and preserve our client’s independence and dignity through careful and thoughtful financial and care management. As our clients’ age, it is their desire to remain independent and age with dignity. Our services protect our clients from talented con artists looking to exploit and deplete the financial resources of our vulnerable seniors. Secure Aging helps families in Manatee County and Sarasota County and in and around the communities of Anna Maria, Bradenton, Bradenton Beach, Ellenton, Holmes Beach, Lakewood Ranch, Longboat Key, Myakka City, Palmetto, Parrish, and Sarasota. Call us at 941-761-9338, or visit us online at www.secureaging.com.