In this time of great need across Manatee County, Meals on Wheels PLUS plays a critical role in helping others.
The Bradenton-based organization does several things to help those in our community, including:
- The delivery of nourishing meals to the homebound.
- The Food Bank of Manatee.
- The Daybreak Adult Day Center
- Friendship Dining at two locations.
- An Enrichment Center at Renaissance on 9th.
Ultimately, the goal of Meals on Wheels PLUS is to enrich the quality of life and independence for those in need, according to its website. Many of the organization’s programs focus on seniors.
Here’s some more information about the work done by those at Meals on Wheels PLUS:” IS BECAUSE
- The Food Bank of Manatee. The Food Bank of Manatee is the largest hunger-relief organization in Manatee County and has provided more than 30 millions pounds of food to local families since 1985. Nutritional assistance, infant care baskets, and even pet food are distributed through more than 100 local nonprofit partner agencies and food pantries. Due to the economic downturn prompted by the new coronavirus, The Food Bank is in critical need of food donations, including peanut butter, boxed rice, canned soups, apple sauce, and more. Find a full list of items of critical need at the Meals on Wheels website. The Food Bank also works with volunteers, although the website notes that they are currently at capacity with its volunteers due to guidelines from the CDC.
Donations to The Food Bank of Manatee can be made at 811 23rd Avenue East, Bradenton 34208.
- Home-delivered meals. Adults in need can receive hot, nutritious, home-delivered meals from The Meals on Wheels PLUS program. The meals are all approved by a registered dietitian; for those with special dietary needs, pureed meals are available. Those who qualify must live in Manatee County and be age 60 and over or be an adult under age 60 but who has been referred by the Florida Department of Children and Families. The home-delivery program is ideal for someone in need who has difficulty shopping, preparing meals independently, or who has recently been discharged from a hospital. Call 941-747-4655 to register, or visit the Meals on Wheels PLUS website for more information.
- Daybreak Adult Day Center. This Lakewood Ranch-based center provides social and recreational activities in a safe environment during daytime hours for seniors.
- Friendship Dining. At two different Bradenton locations—The Renaissance on 9th and Journey Assembly, adults age 60 and over can receive a hot, nutritious meal Monday through Friday. Transportation is provided in some cases. Recreational activities and holiday celebrations also take place at Friendship Dining.
- Enrichment Center. At the Renaissance on 9th, those age 50 and over can take advantage of recreational, cultural and educational programs, including classes, exercise, and games. The Enrichment Center also is a Medicare Silver Sneakers certified location.
Note that the coronavirus outbreak has affected Meals on Wheels PLUS and its offerings in many ways. Check the Meals on Wheels PLUS Facebook page or the organization’s COVID-19 page for more updates. Find out more about volunteering with Meals on Wheels PLUS here.
Call Secure Aging to Find Out How We Can Help Seniors With Care Management
At Secure Aging in Bradenton, we transform the weight of the world into a sigh of relief for our senior clients and their concerned family members. The mission of Secure Aging is to protect and preserve our client’s independence and dignity through careful and thoughtful financial and care management. As our clients’ age, it is their desire to remain independent and age with dignity. Our services protect our clients from talented con artists looking to exploit and deplete the financial resources of our vulnerable seniors. Secure Aging helps families in Manatee County and Sarasota County and in and around the communities of Anna Maria, Bradenton, Bradenton Beach, Ellenton, Holmes Beach, Lakewood Ranch, Longboat Key, Myakka City, Palmetto, Parrish, and Sarasota. Call us at 941-761-9338, or visit us online at www.secureaging.com.